Can Maca Root Boosts Your Sex Drive? Health Benefits & Side Effects
Maca root is a radish-like vegetable from the Andean region of Peru which has been cultivated for thousands of years. It's most commonly used as a food additive, but it also possesses many health benefits. It also has a quality nutritional profile. It is a great source of Vitamin C, potassium, iron, copper, and B vitamins.
Indigenous peoples throughout South America have used maca root for centuries for its many health benefits, including increased energy and stamina, hormonal balance, fertility support and libido enhancement.
Today it's been reported to improve sexual function, increase erection frequency in men, reduce anxiety in postmenopausal women, and improve SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction. (1).
Where Does Maca Root Grow?
Maca root grows in the Andes of Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador. It's a plant root that is part of the radish family that is harvested and used for medicinal purposes. The root can be eaten fresh, dried or powdered. It has a slightly sweet, nutty taste.
So can Maca root really boost sex drive?
Maca root has been used to improve sex drive for hundreds of years, and there's research to back it up. A study conducted back in 2002 showed that maca root increases sexual drive in men. (2)
Another study conducted in 2008 showed that it reduces sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women.(3)
A study conducted in 2001 proved that daily consumption of maca over a period of four months improved semen production in nine men (4), while another study conducted in 2006 showed that maca root caused an increased sperm count in rats. (5)
Increased Libido isn’t Maca Root’s only health benefit. It has also been shown to reduce blood pressure levels and depression in postmenopausal women.
Is Maca Root Safe To Use?
Yes, maca root is generally safe. It has some side effects but they are believed to be minimal or rare. Maca may produce different side effects in different people. Since there hasn’t been enough human studies, the long-term effects of taking maca are still unknown. Some potential side effects include:
If you face any adverse side effects while taking maca, stop taking it and speak with your healthcare provider.
As with any supplement, it's essential to speak with your health care provider before taking maca, especially if you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Maca may interact with certain medications, so it's important to be aware of any potential interactions.
Some Other Benefits of Maca Root:
- Maca root is a natural way to boost your energy levels.
- Maca root can help to regulate your hormones and support healthy menstrual cycles.
- Maca root can help to increase your libido and enhance your sexual pleasure.
- Maca root is also known for its cancer-preventing properties. It has been used to treat thyroid conditions, anemia, arthritis, osteoporosis, and chronic fatigue syndrome.
- When taken with pharmaceutical drugs, it can help reduce the negative side effects of those medications.
- Maca roots are rich in essential fatty acids, amino acid proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
- It contains a high amount of dietary fiber, calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, zinc, copper, sodium potassium, manganese and selenium.
- Maca Root affects mood positively because it contains tryptophan. The amino acid converts the body to serotonin which helps improve our mood.
- It works as a natural antidepressant. Some studies show that those suffering from depression have low levels of serotonin, and those suffering from anxiety have high levels of cholesterol.
- Maca is also thought to be a natural aphrodisiac because it contains plant sterols similar to testosterone.
Looking to improve your sex drive naturally with Maca Root? Do you also want to improve your overall health and well-being? Then consider adding maca root to your diet. It is safe, affordable, and easy to find online or in health food stores. Enjoy the many benefits that this amazing superfood has to offer!